With multiple implementation & operational challenges, GST Council has decided to postpone the e-way bill implementation date probably to last week of February. The execution dates initially thought were June 2018 for interstate goods movement & February 2018 for intrastate goods movement. With the acceptance of 15+ states, e-way bill was initially rolled out across India but suffered major technical setbacks. The e-way bill portal and offline utility is open for trial until further notice for both inter and intra state movement of goods. So far there is no clear communication about the effective date and it is expected that the new date of launch will be announced in the next couple of weeks.
Users of more than 17 states accessing and trying to generate several e-way bills at the same time led to technical glitches as the servers couldn’t accommodate the transaction volume. States who accepted to implement e-way bill from 1st February 2018 have blamed GST Council for repeating similar issue faced during GST launch where several technical parameters including server usage are incorrectly estimated leading to unexpected downtimes.
Major technical challenges
- High volume of transactions
- Bulk generation of e-way bills without using the API’s
- Failure of NIC’s offline utility in case where a single invoice contains more than 250 line items
- Extracting data in the NIC expected format from an ERP is a major concern for large enterprises with complex source systems
- Complexities involved in reverse integration, 2-way connectivity of NIC e-way bill system to/from the business ERP/source system
Steps being considered by the Government
- Government is planning to introduce the e-way bill for intrastate movement upon successful implementation they will migrate it to the interstate
- Restricting e-way bills for higher consignment values only
- Easy integration of API’s to be issued
- Diversifying the present volume using GSP’s (GST Suvidha provider), etc.
The Solution for Large Enterprises
Large Enterprises still find certain elements of e-way bill challenging such as bulk generation of e-way bills with their ERP data flowing in from multiple departments. Addressing these concerns UdyogSoftware developed a dedicated software called enTransact. enTransact integrates with all standard ERP systems for real-time synchronization with NIC e-way bill API. Companies can reduce the dependency on manual entry and tedious data formatting/processing work.
1) Integration with standard ERP systems for real-time synchronization with NIC e-way bill API
2) Bulk generation of e-way bills and option to enter manually
3) Workflow to collaborate with transporters and consignees
4) Real tracking of shipment status across the country
5) Perpetual storage of invoices and e-way bills
6) Automatic identification of tax rates & HSN codes for respective goods
7) Consolidated E- Way Bill generation
8) Collaborating with consignee & transporter
9) Electronic E-Invoicing.
Switch to enTransact, the smartest way to generate bulk e- way bills.
GST Content Specialist | Tax Technology Enthusiast